lundi 2 mars 2009

Ambiance

Ambiance
It was pizza night as usual tonight, although with fewer participants than usual. In all, even with Daniel's son Kevyn (and apologies for spelling his name wrongly in my last posting) and his friends, there were only about ten of us. Nonetheless, it was a good evening.

Before that I had played boules with Daniel and ensemble in the afternoon and played badly; so it was a boules afternoon that I will happily forget. Afterwards, before going on to the pizza evening, I called in on Daniel for an aperitif and was greeted as always by his dog, Gillette, looking for dog treats. I had remembered to bring some in my pocket. What struck me was the ambiance in the house, with Kevyn's friends wandering in and out of the room where Daniel and I were drinking and talking, doing some work on their laptops, talking amongst themselves or into their mobile phones and so on. It reminded me of a time in my late 20s when I would often go on from the local pub in Merton, the Admiral Nelson, to friends' Keith and Janet's house to continue chatting, drink coffee and eat cheese and biscuits. Keith and Janet were half a generation ahead of me, friends of my family. Their adolescent children would bring home friends after their own evenings out and everybody would mix in happily together. I thought then that, if and when I had children, I would like my house to be the one in which the children chose to bring home their friends to congregate, after school, after an evening out or whatever. I think that children are very sensitive to atmosphere and will naturally veer towards a place where they can relax and be themselves without any unduly inhibitive pressure. It never happened for me, whether because of my divorce or for some other reason. But Daniel's house, with Kevyn's friends around, had that same easy, relaxed atmosphere, spanning the generations, that Keith and Janet's had had in my past.

Tomorrow I have invited friend Steve to come round and eat shellfish. His wife, Jo, has gone back to England to see her mother (who is a valiant 95, the epitome of Shakespeare's sans eyes, sans teeth, sans everything but game to go on) and Jo is not keen on shellfish. So Steve and I will take advantage of her temporary absence to have a shrimp fest. Jo is an excellent cook but Steve has occasional longings for some shrimp, crab, oysters, etc which can be assuaged during Jo's visits to see her mother.

4 commentaires:

  1. I'll try to find my way around this, though my French is rusty if not completely corroded away. Glad to hear that everything's going well there and Spring is on its way - we've even had some sunny days here in Reading (typical English to go straight to the weather!) I envy you the seafood, and have much the same problem as Jenny isn't a huge fan of shellfish.

    I'll now see if I can publish this without having to register myself - it seems to get more and more difficult to do anything on anew website without surrendering half an hour to entering personal details and ceating usernames/passwords etc etc. Went looking for Freeserve last week and ended up having to register on Yahoo with yet another new identity. Any way, enough wittering and here goes.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Hi Ian
    I'm a member of Françoise Richardson's class and once spent a happy and very hot fortnight very close to Mollans in a gîte in the Hameau de Piérevon owned by a charming woman called Régine who sang in a choir. It was the infamous summer of 2003 and during our stay we lost the water supply. After 24 hours, Régine contacted some English friends of hers whom she'd met through the choir and who lived lower down and they let us shower at their house. Their name was Szsnsy (the nearest I could get when I wrote it afterwords), Joyce and Jim. We found lots of things in common including a passion for Shostakovitch. Should you come across any of these people, please tell them they are not forgotten.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Joyce and Jim are known to me; often see them around, though not so much in the village as at social gatherings. Next time I see them I'll remember you to them Gill.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Ce commentaire a été supprimé par un administrateur du blog.

    RépondreSupprimer