mardi 7 décembre 2010

How The Other Half Lives

Weather
In contrast to the reports coming on of snowy chaos in England, our weather has continued to be rather cloudy and wet and temperatures have been on the up, to 15 degrees today. On benefit of this has been the scenery, with cloud descending at times to below 1000ft. Since two of the three ways out of the village involve climbing to 1000ft, I've had the experience of driving through cloud. That only happened to me once before, when on a holiday in Tenerife. I find driving into cloud, above it into the light and then descending into it a striking experience. The cloud tends to gather in layers, at various levels against the hills, which also has some striking effects on the view. The strips of hills visible lower down are grey/brown, the strips in the middle sprinkled with snow and those at the top all white. It sometimes takes an effort of the imagination to link the three as the same hill.

Shopping
My cleaning lady, Patricia, asked me if I would take her into Vaison for some shopping. She has no car and the suppression of the midday bus run means leaving the village at around 7.30 in the morning and not being able to return by bus until after 5.00. I was happy to agree and we were back in the village in just over an hour; but I wondered how she managed generally. She said she shopped for a month at a time and, certainly, her shopping filled the car, with three 20-litre containers of diesel fuel for her heating amongst it. Coming into the village I wondered aloud how we were going to get all her shopping to her house, as she lives in the old mediaeval part and there was no way I could get the car to her house. “Don't worry”, she said, “I'll get my son”. So I parked as near as I could get and she went off, duly reappearing with her son who was pulling a hand cart the size of porters' trolleys on stations in England. We loaded it up and off they went. That was clearly her standard procedure.

Language (Again)
Two neighbours of friend Daniel have been very helpful polishing a translation I did of a short story that I wrote when doing a creative writing course just after I retired. (I did creative writing, chaos theory and conversational French). I hadn't expected to need much help but didn't appreciate the amount of idioms and double meanings I had used. Anyway, during the course of discussion a very interesting point about the past emerged. The neighbours, Jacques and Claudine, hail from Brittany and still have a house there. I was mentioning the longevity of dialects in France and Jacques agreed. He said his grandfather, who lived all his life in Roscoff, spoke two languages: breton and English! He didn't speak a word of French. I was amazed and Jacques explained that his grandfather would go over to England frequently on a boat loaded with fish to sell and then stay on selling onions and garlic. I remember French onion-sellers in Bristol when I was a student in the 1960s but have never seen them since.

1 commentaire: