mardi 18 décembre 2018

Why Brexit Must Be Stopped

Why Brexit Must Be Stopped
Let's be clear. I want Brexit stopped, so I'm biaised. Many others don't. But I think there are compelling reasosn to stop it even excluding economic factors; it's about the kind of country I would like Britain to be.

If Brexit happens, those who lied and committed electoral fraud will win. If they win, why would they change their methods, because those methods will have worked? Those who voted Leave because of xenophobia and racism will win. I'm sure that xenophobia and racism were not factors for many Leave voters but equally sure that they were an important factor. Police statistics show a steep rise in race-related crimes since the referendum. The Archbishop of Canterbury has said that he fears civil violence if Brexit does not happen and I think he is right. I think, as he does, that disappointed Leavers are very likely to take to the streets, violently. Historically that has always been what extreme right-wing supporters do.

So, if Brexit happens, what kind of Britain will we have? One in which liars and fraudster, xenophones and racists prevail. Possibly even one in which the government gives in to threats of violence in the streets. That is not a Britain I wish to see.Ask yourself who would want to see that kind of Britain.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire