vendredi 13 septembre 2024

Grumpy Old Man

 

A Grumpy Old Man

That is not usually me; I have plenty to be thankful for and generally enjoy life. Except, that is, when I have to deal with websites. Just over a year ago I wrote a feature article for Computer magazine in England about the mistakes websites make on usability. It is generally because of inadequate user testing It costs commercial websites money but that is their problem. I am much more concerned with practicality, ease of use, as cost factors make person to person contact much more difficult to obtain. The most general substitute is the assistant Cora, who seems to me to be badly in need of some artificial intelligence. My bank account is so secure that even I often have great difficulty getting access to it. My hearing and eyesight are failing, as happens with many elderly people, so ease of use is paramount. I wrote a Talking Heads column for several years for Computing in the 1980s, along with Donald Michie, a professor at Edinburgh university, and offered them a grumpy Old Man column recently. But I haven’t heard back.


Summer Is Over

OK, rant over, as well as summer. The first sign of that here is when early mornings and evenings become noticeably cooler, whatever the temperature during the day. More varieties of mushrooms and fewer varieties of summer fruit appear in the shops and markets; figs appear for the first time. The coco de Mollans beans have been harvested and this year a friend gave me two bags full of them, half of which I have cooked and half of which are in the freezer. They are much vaunted here with their own AOC but I have to confess that, to me, they are just like butter beans in England. There’s a weekend festival of the harvest in the village and I’m slightly surprised there are no aficionados in bean hats. Nyons has an olive festival in which initiates wear hats with bits of olive tree stuck in them and they tap tap one another on the shoulder with sprigs of olive tree. Only in France .The big

question here, as always, is how the grape harvest will go. I have noticed a big drop in the number of grape-harvesting tractors this year. The general trend is towards organic wine and I have been told that tractor harvesting is not allowed for organic wine. I don’t know if that is true and can’t see why it would be but, if it is so, it will certainly have the benefit of requiring more labour; anyway, grapes are always picked by hand for the better wines.

Some friends from England came to explore the village and seem enchanted with it. I have been particularly impressed by friend Marigold’s tenacity and determination to speak French as much as possible. We English never lose our accent entirely and it is always the “u” sound and the English diphthongs which betray us. Which brings me to my next topic……


Conversation Classes

I’ve decided to restart the English conversation classes here n the 24th of September; I’ve placed posters around the village and informed the village website as usual and hope there will be some newcomers. There are normzlly 6-7 of us but winter can pose difficulties in attending so a few new faces would be welcome

.

Trip To The UK

I’m currently organising my annual trip to the UK to spend my birthday there. I have decided to do it by train this year and will go more or less directly to Scotland, spending just one night in London. On my way back I shall stay with a friend in London for a couple of days before returning to France. The time in London on my way back will be spent at least partly on shopping. The shops I miss most here are the Asian stores, and why don’t the French have back

 bacon?

The Allotment

The allotment has proved productive this summer, the only failure being green beans; I’ve no idea why. I’ve just about finished the autumn planting now. I couldn’t find any kale plants in the market, which was a bit of a disappointment, but cauliflowers and red and green cabbages are all planted along with leeks, some more spinach beet and lettuces. I’ve also sown carrots radishes, rocket, beetroot and turnips. I didn’t attempt as much last year and, although the leeks were successful, I had just some cabbage leaves. I’m hoping this year’s autumn planting will be more productive; at least I have more chances.







Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire